British Values at CHI
At Coombe Hill Infants' School we provide a curriculum which actively promotes the fundamental British values of democracy, rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance for those with different faiths and beliefs.
The fundamental British values of democracy, rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance for those with different faiths and beliefs are already implicitly embedded in our school curriculum.
DEMOCRACY – making decisions together
The children see the values of democracy and fairness exercised on a day to day basis in the running of the school.
- We have a School Council which contributes towards the decision making processes in the school
- We conduct regular Pupil and Parent Surveys
- Children learn the vital skills of turn taking and listening to others’ views as part of circle times
- We have daily assemblies
- Children have input into topics studied
- We have an open door policy
THE RULE OF LAW AND INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY – understanding that rules matter and freedom for all
The children are familiar with this concept through the use of our school rules and our learning behaviours of Readiness, Respect, Resilience, Responsibility, Resourcefulness and Reasoning. Winnie the Pooh and friends help us learn these valued behaviours and weekly sticker assemblies reward children for adhering to these values.
- We are kind and helpful
- We work hard
- We are gentle
- We look after property
- We listen to other people
- We are honest
- We make the right choices
- We try our best
- The rules are discussed in terms of rights and responsibilities and children understand how they are used to keep us safe. We have a clear system of rewards and sanctions.
- The children are strongly encouraged to develop independence in learning and to think for themselves.
- We actively listen to and take advice from all stakeholders
- We encourage our children to express their opinions and listen to others
MUTUAL RESPECT AND TOLERANCE OF THOSE OF DIFFERENT FAITHS AND BELIEFS – treat others as you want to be treated
Respect is a fundamental value of our school and it is reinforced on a daily basis. CHI is an inclusive school and we respect ourselves, friends, families, all human beings, the world and the environment.
- We teach an understanding and appreciation of other religions
- We celebrate festivals from a range of religions and cultures
- We celebrate the rich diversity of our school community through events like our International Fortnight & Evening
- We have high expectations of good behaviour from everyone – children, staff, parents and visitors
- We participate in regular charity events e.g. MacMillan Coffee mornings, NSPCC, Sign to Sing, African Vision Malawi
What is not acceptable is…..
- Actively promoting intolerance of other faiths, cultures, disabilities and races
- Failure to challenge gender stereotypes and routinely segregate girls and boys
- Isolating children from their wider community
- Failure to challenge behaviours (whether of staff, children or parents) that are not in line with the fundamental British values of democracy, rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance for those with different faiths and beliefs.